Intermittent 1px gap in Firefox 3
Posted on 2008-07-30 - Comments
My work has just pushed out an update, upgrading our users to Firefox 3. Naturally, we’ve been busy looking through our internally produced sites to check all is fine in the new version.
In 99% of cases, all our sites look the same in Firefox 3, apart from one notable exception. In this one case, there is a 1px gap between the left-hand margin (which is centred using "margin-left: auto") and the header image. Being the perfectionists we are, we don’t want a 1px white gap in our nice header.
Oddly, this 1px gap would come and go as the browser window is horizontally resized. This behaviour set alarm bells ringing that it's some kind of rounding error in the "auto" positioning vs the exact pixel dimensions of our centred container.
After a bit of searching, we found an entry in John Resig's blog (of JQuery fame), where he has stumbled upon the issue and developed a test case for the main browsers. Turns out that fixing it is a challenge, as all the browsers round the numbers differently. Problem is, there's no standard for how the browsers should round the pixels, so fixing it in one browser will almost certainly break it in another.
Ho hum, here’s hoping for a future standard.
- Next generation console wishlist 2013-02-18
- Digital conversations preserved 2011-02-21
- Pastel de Nata recipe 2011-01-10
- Fixing a bricked D-Link DSL-G624T 2010-01-22
- Learning PHP - Part 6: functions 2009-11-03
- Learning PHP - Part 5: your first dynamic web page 2009-11-03
- Learning PHP - Part 4: controlling flow 2009-11-02
- Symptoms of a Wordpress hack 2009-11-02
- Learning PHP - Part 3: array basics 2009-10-26
- Learning PHP - Part 2: variable basics 2009-10-25
- Learning PHP - Part 1: introduction 2009-10-24
- Unsetting HTTP headers in PHP 2008-08-06
- Intermittent 1px gap in Firefox 3 2008-07-30
- Understanding Linux file permissions 2008-07-29
- Step by step: Moving code between Subversion repositories 2008-07-23
- Novell client on OpenSuse 10.3 2007-10-08
- Removing Windows from Apple's Bootcamp 2007-10-01
- HTTP authentication in PHP 2007-06-12
- Microformats and me 2007-06-11