Novell client on OpenSuse 10.3
Posted on 2007-10-08 - Comments
The latest (10.3) version of OpenSuse was released a few days ago. As I use Suse as my main development environment at work, I eagerly downloaded it as soon as I could, and installed it on a virtual machine.
First impressions are very good – very quick startup time, easy 1-click installs and a bright and cheery colour scheme.
Unfortunately, I can’t switch for real as the Novell Client doesn’t work yet, and I need to client to access my shared drives at work. (Although I could use WebDAV, it doesn’t work so well). Attempting to install the Beta 2.0 version yields a single dependency error (wrong version of binutils). Satisfying the dependency results in the Novell Client loading – but not connecting at all. Seemingly, the public Beta 2.0 of the client is no longer available for download.
There was quite a wait on Suse 10.2 for a working Novell Client – which was released in beta form a couple of months ago (and it works very nicely too). I’ll eagerly await and hope that Novell release a new client soon, then I will more than happily switch to the new version.
UPDATE 29th Nov 2007
I”ve just spotted that Novell have posted a way to run the 10.2 client on 10.3, over at coolsolutions.
It has a simple step-by-step guide that just involves entering a few commands into the shell.
- Next generation console wishlist 2013-02-18
- Digital conversations preserved 2011-02-21
- Pastel de Nata recipe 2011-01-10
- Fixing a bricked D-Link DSL-G624T 2010-01-22
- Learning PHP - Part 6: functions 2009-11-03
- Learning PHP - Part 5: your first dynamic web page 2009-11-03
- Learning PHP - Part 4: controlling flow 2009-11-02
- Symptoms of a Wordpress hack 2009-11-02
- Learning PHP - Part 3: array basics 2009-10-26
- Learning PHP - Part 2: variable basics 2009-10-25
- Learning PHP - Part 1: introduction 2009-10-24
- Unsetting HTTP headers in PHP 2008-08-06
- Intermittent 1px gap in Firefox 3 2008-07-30
- Understanding Linux file permissions 2008-07-29
- Step by step: Moving code between Subversion repositories 2008-07-23
- Novell client on OpenSuse 10.3 2007-10-08
- Removing Windows from Apple's Bootcamp 2007-10-01
- HTTP authentication in PHP 2007-06-12
- Microformats and me 2007-06-11