Removing Windows from Apple's Bootcamp
Posted on 2007-10-01 - Comments
Having tried Windows Vista on my shiny new iMac and having a few issues (stuttering sound, slower loading times), I decided to revert back to using Windows XP.
Now, Bootcamp is supposed to make this easy – you just launch the Bootcamp assistant, and click "Restore the startup disk to a single volume". A few moments later, all seemed well, and I was prompted to reboot.
After the reboot, the Windows XP drive is still visible, and it seems nothing has happened. After trying this multiple times and getting quickly fed up, I ruled out a few other ways to delete Windows:
- I couldn’t run the Windows XP installer disk – rebooting the iMac with the disk in the drive caused a "Press any key to boot from CD…" prompt. Unfortunately, the iMac keyboard doesn’t work at that point.
- Attempting to run the XP installer from within Vista – the "Install Windows XP" option is greyed out and not selectable
- OS X’s disk utility wouldn’t let me unmount or erase the Windows parition
- I was too scared to use fdisk from the command line, just in case I nuked my OS X partition (and didn’t want to reformat the whole lot for the same reason)
So, how did I fix it in the end?
If you can’t delete Windows from your Mac’s bootcamp installation:
- Drag the Windows parition to the Trash to unmount it
- Run the Bootcamp assistant and choose "Restore the startup disk to a single volume"
Guess that’s the risk you take when you use Beta software eh?
- Next generation console wishlist 2013-02-18
- Digital conversations preserved 2011-02-21
- Pastel de Nata recipe 2011-01-10
- Fixing a bricked D-Link DSL-G624T 2010-01-22
- Learning PHP - Part 6: functions 2009-11-03
- Learning PHP - Part 5: your first dynamic web page 2009-11-03
- Learning PHP - Part 4: controlling flow 2009-11-02
- Symptoms of a Wordpress hack 2009-11-02
- Learning PHP - Part 3: array basics 2009-10-26
- Learning PHP - Part 2: variable basics 2009-10-25
- Learning PHP - Part 1: introduction 2009-10-24
- Unsetting HTTP headers in PHP 2008-08-06
- Intermittent 1px gap in Firefox 3 2008-07-30
- Understanding Linux file permissions 2008-07-29
- Step by step: Moving code between Subversion repositories 2008-07-23
- Novell client on OpenSuse 10.3 2007-10-08
- Removing Windows from Apple's Bootcamp 2007-10-01
- HTTP authentication in PHP 2007-06-12
- Microformats and me 2007-06-11